Summer is cucumber season, and today we went crazy with cucumbers.
We made cucumber tomato feta salad, cucumber carrot salad with buttermilk dressing and even a cucumber drink.
Yes, cucumber insanity has reached us, and we’re thankful because there aren’t that many vegetables as refreshing and versatile as a cucumber.
Whether you put them in your gazpacho or your Greek salad or in that simple sandwich, cucumbers are always ready to bring a refreshing punch, especially on those really hot days. Enjoy!
Agua Fresca de Pepino
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled cucumber (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 Serrano pepper, seeded
- 3 cups water
- Lime slices (optional)
- Cucumber slices (optional)
Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Add 3 cups water; cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight.
Strain cucumber mixture through a fine sieve over a pitcher; discard solids. Serve over ice; garnish with lime or cucumber slices, if desired.
Recipe from Cooking Light, June 2010
Cucumber, Tomato & Feta Salad
- 3 cups coarsely chopped English hothouse or Persian cucumbers
- 1 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 cup assorted pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 7-ounce package feta, crumbled, divided
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, chives, olives, half of feta, and mint in a large bowl. Whisk oil and lemon juice in a small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining half of feta over and serve.
Adapted from Bon Appétit, June 2011
Cucumber Carrot Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup shaved carrots
- 1 cup cucumbers
- 1 large tomato
- 2/3 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1/2 cup regular mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a jar, cover tightly, and shake well until combined. Or can also use your blender.