I made this salad for one reason…I wanted to sit out in the backyard to eat this salad and wait for the quail families and their little baby quails to come by and maybe say hello.
The little baby quails are so beautiful… with their fuzzy feathers and their tiny little bodies just following every step their mama quail makes.
I picked this recipe because it had mint in it. Mint sugar, what a great idea… it completely transformed this simply fruit salad into a divine treat.
So here’s the salad. I will cross my fingers, sit in the patio and wait for the quails to come back.
Adapted from Gourmet, July 2004
Makes 6 servings
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 lb blackberries, left whole
- 1/2 lb raspberries, left whole
- 1/2 lb sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 firm-ripe medium mangoes, firm-ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 oranges, cut in individual segments
Pulse mint and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Sprinkle mint sugar over fruit in a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.