Adapted from Parade, November 2002
- 2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (packed) light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 prepared pie shell (9-inch), chilled
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Process the pumpkin puree in a blender with the heavy whipping cream until smooth, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; whisk in the next six ingredients until well blended. Reserve.
Place 2 sheets of heavy-duty foil, one on top of the other, directly on the surface of the pie crust. Bake the crust in the lower 2/3 of the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the foil; bake 5 minutes more. Remove shell from oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean, about 45 to 60 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Serve with candied orange peel, if desired.